You got questions about your skincare routine? There are a lot of new products out there for men, but their marketing targets millenials. So we have a resident expert who has answers.
Guys, when it comes to looking your best, knowledge is power. I’ve compiled a simple, no-nonsense guide to help demystify and resolve four main skin-care issues that many men have or are likely to experience in their lifetime.
1. Razor Bumps. We expect bumps on the road, but don’t want them on our face. Razor bumps (pseudofolliculitis barbae) are ingrown hairs that develop after shaving or using other hair removal techniques. They can develop on the face, legs, underarms and pubic area. (Manscaping, anyone?) They’re usually red, and can range in size or become pus-filled. Generally, they do not cause serious health problems but can be painful, unattractive and affect a person’s confidence.
- Shave less often.
- Use shaving cream or gel on wet skin (or right after a shower). Make sure it’s appropriate for your skin type.
- Shave in the direction of hair growth.
- Use a fresh razor and wipe with alcohol before and after using.
- Try an electric razor on a low setting to keep hair slightly longer and less likely to become ingrown.
- Use products that contain salicylic acid, it exfoliates, unclogs pores and reduces inflammation.
Try: Tends Solution: Apply post shaving. Contains salicylic acid, glycerin 8 oz. $24.99 Amazon
Anthony Ingrown Hair Treatment: Apply post shaving, underneath moisturizer. Contains glycolic, salicylic acid, willow herb and lavender. Free of parabens, phthalates and gluten, cruelty free. 2.5 oz. $34.00 www.anthony.com
2. Uneven Skin Tone. Dark under-eye circles, age spots, pimples and scarring.
Sunscreen. Wear daily, minimum SPF 15 to prevent sun damage and spots.
Try: Aesop’s Protective Facial Lotion SPF 25 1.69 oz. $60.00 www.aesop.com
Silwhasoo’s non-sticky Men’s Relaxing UV Protector SPF 50 1.7oz. $36.00 Amazon
Concealer: This may be a hard sell, but the stigma is lifting in the face of logic and the desire to look rested and feel confident. Alex Rodriguez has partnered with the company Hims & Hers endorsing The Blur Stick: sleek, discreet, easily blends into skin with your fingers. Available in 8 shades. Made with Aloe and jojoba seed oil. $17.00, www.ForHims.com
War Pain Liquid Concealer Pen. Lightweight, conceals circles, spots ,scars,blemishes. Click the pen to dispense, apply to the area, dab and blend. Available in five shades. Cruelty free, vegan. .01fl oz. $25.00 us.warpaintformen.com
3. Dry, Cracked Feet and Heels. Caused by athlete's foot, eczema, pressure from standing, or exercising.
A. Soak feet for 20 minutes in warm water.
B. Use a pumice stone or loofah to gently remove hardened, thick skin.
C. Apply moisturizer often, especially after cleansing. Look for ingredients that contain urea, glycerin, glycolic acid, shea butter, petrolatum (good old Vaseline). Bonus points if you put on socks and sleep with them overnight! It may not look hot, but much better than having raggety, neanderthal feet that scratch your partner’s skin under the covers.
Try: Pursources Urea 40% Foot Cream 4oz.$15.99
O'Keeffe's for Healthy Feet Night Treatment, 3 oz. $6.96 Walmart
4. Below the Belt/Jock Itch/Schweddy Balls (Thank you SNL and Alec Baldwin).
Jock Itch is caused by fungus. Symptoms include: itching, burning, circular rash that is red, scaly, flaking or peeling. Most likely found on the groin, inner thighs, or butt. People that sweat a lot or are overweight (it thrives in the folds of skin) are more prone to getting it.
- Bathe daily and after exercising. Dry the area with a clean and separate towel to avoid spreading to other body parts.
- Wear clean clothes and underwear. You may want to switch to boxers instead of briefs to avoid chafing.
- Do not wear a wet bathing suit for long periods of time.
- DO NOT SHARE ATHLETIC SUPPORT CUPS!
- Apply over-the-counter antifungals creams, powders (which absorb moisture) or sprays
- Do not neglect! Consult a doctor if you experience pain, swelling, pus or red streaks from a rash.
Try: Fungicure Medicated Antifungal Wash: Homeopathic, with tea tree oil, 6oz. $8.97 Amazon
Gold Bond Medicated Powder Talc Free, cornstarch based, 10 oz. $9.79 Amazon and most common retail chains
Fear no more! Now you have all the information you need to address the most baffling skincare concerns. The more you know, the more empowered and confident you become and that’s sexy AF.
The Crush Letter
The Crush Letter is a weekly newsletter from the Dish curating intelligence & stories on all things love & connection - self-care, friendship, romance, sex. If you’d like to take a look at some of our best stories go to Read Us. Want some Dish?